Manchester City midfield maestro Yaya Toure was last night dethroned as the Glo Africa Footballer of the Year by a Gabonese footballer, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
Here are key things about Pierre you should know:
1. Pierre-Emerick Emiliano François Aubameyang was born 26 years ago on June 18, 1989.
2. His father was captain of Gabon and played professionally in France. His mother is Spanish. He was born in France but raised in Italy.
3. He plays for the German club Borussia Dortmund and the Gabon national football team which he captained during the African Cup of Nations. He was picked based on his exploits in the German Bundesliga where he plays.
4. Pierre is the first Gabon player to win African player gong with 143 votes to four-time winner Toure’s 136. And so, he prevented Yaya Toure from bagging the award for the fifth time.
5. His accolade comes despite a year without trophy success. His Gabon team was eliminated in the first round of the African Nations Cup finals in Equatorial Guinea at the start of 2015 and his club finished seventh in the Bundesliga last season.
6. He scored 29 Bundesliga goals in 2015 (making him one of the world’s most recognizable strikers), including 18 this season plus a further seven in the Europa League. He is the first Bundesliga-based player to win the annual award first introduced in 1970. He is also the second player born in Europe to win the award after Frederic Kanoute, the Parisian-born Mali international.
7. His elder brothers Catilina and Willy have both played for Milan youth teams. He enjoys spending time with his son.