The age-long feud between Rotimi Amaechi and Nyesom Wike has resumed again. This time, it features Wole Soyinka and his 80th birthday celebration when Amaechi was Rivers state governor.
Here are key things about this fresh clash you should know:
1. An official statement from the Rivers state government fingered the current Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi in the massive mismanagement of state resources.
2. Speaking on the statement, Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dr. Austin- Tam George, expressed shock that former Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi expended N82million to host Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka to a 3-hour birthday dinner/party.
3. This amount was allegedly spent at a period Amaechi refused to pay salaries.
4. In his reply, Soyinka said that he wasn’t worried about being probed. In his words, “EFCC and company – over to you. You all know where I live.”
5. The Nobel Laureate also said the Rivers government’s claims was warning he recounted in his recent publication, The Republic of Liars.
“Those words were: Corruption strikes back. In this ongoing instance, that expression translates most vividly as ‘Those who are neck deep in the sewage of corruption ensure that they splatter sewage in all possible and improbable directions.’
6. Rotimi Amaechi too has debunked the allegation saying that the “coterie of court-jesters and attention-seekers in his administration to desist from peddling lies, making false allegations and criminalizing legitimate government transactions in their desperate bid to discredit the person and reputation of Rotimi Amaechi.”
7. Dr Tam George said that the figures were contained in the hand over note prepared by the former Permanent Secretary of the State Ministry of Information and Communication under the Amaechi administration.