According to a study conducted & published by French publication, Footendirect, Nigeria’s Mikel Obi alongside retired players Jay Jay Okocha and Kanu Nwankwo are among the top 10 highest earning African players of all time.
With a cumulative take-home of $50 million, John Mikel Obi is now the best paid among the current generation of Nigerian players.
According to Footendirect, Mikel who earns about £75,000 per week at Chelsea has a total earnings estimate of $50m while Kanu Nwankwo and Jay Jay Okocha who have since retired made $100m and $150m respectively from their career.
See the full list below:
1. Samuel Eto’o/Antalyaspor : $202 millions
2. Yaya Touré/Manchester City : $170 millions
3. Didier Drogba/Montreal : $155 millions
4. Jay-Jay Okocha : $150 millions
5. Nwankwo Kanu : $100 millions
6. Michaël Essien/Panathinaïkos : $70 millions
7. Emmanuel Adebayor/Libre : $57 millions
8. Obi Mikel/Chelsea : $50 millions
9. Kolo Touré/Liverpool : $43 millions
10. Sulley Muntari/Al-Ittihad : $40 millions