After speculations that Super Eagles Coach, Sunday Oliseh, might drop him, Emmanuel Emenike has announced his retirement from the team. Here are ten important things you may not know about him:
1. Emmanuel Chinenye Emenike was born on May 10, 1987.
2. He started his football career with Delta Force where he was poorly paid since the club was barely funded by the state government.
3. He earned his first salary when he transferred to South African National First Division team Mpumalanga Black Aces in January 2008 and scored his first goal in his debut match against Dynamos F.C. on 17 February 2008.
4. On 25 May 2011, Emenike joined Fenerbahçe for an undisclosed fee, believed to be around €9 million.
5. On 28 July 2011, he was sold to Spartak Moscow for €10 million due to the match fixing scandal involving him and the club. In August 2013, Emenike moved back to Turkey by returning to his dream team Fenerbahçe for a fee worth around €13m (£10.2M). Before the 2015-2016 season, he was loaned to Al Ain FC to play forward on a one-year deal.
6. He was called up to the Nigerian national team in 2010.
7. He has scored 16 goals in 37 appearances for the Super Eagles.
8. By winning the Nations Cup and playing for Nigeria in the World Cup, he says he has fulfilled his dream in the national team. He was awarded the Highest Goal Scorer 2014 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa, after scoring four goals that greatly helped Nigeria in the tournament. He also scored a goal in the two-nil win by the Super Eagles – a win which took them to the final round of world cup qualifiers.
9. He has now gone more than two years without a goal for the three-time African champions. His last goal was in Ethiopia in October 2013 in a final 2014 World Cup play-off.
10. He has announced retirement from international football to focus on his club, making him the second player to sign out of senior national team after Vincent Enyeama.