Following his showdown with Super Eagles Coach, Sunday Oliseh here, Vincent Enyeama has announced his retirement from the Nigerian national team, Super Eagles.
The nation will miss him! Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about him:
1. He was born on the 29th of August 1982.
2. Vincent Enyeama, has more career goals than John Mikel Obi.
3. Vincent Enyeama is the world’s 17th highest goalscoring Goalkeeper of all time with 20 career goals, 9 for Hapoel Tel Aviv, 10 for Enyimba FC and 1 for Ibom Stars all scored from the penalty spot.
4. He was named the 2009 Israeli Football League player of the year and the best Goalkeeper in Ligue 1 in 2013 & 2014 by L’Equipe.
5. Has kept more clean sheets (39) than any other goalkeeper in the last 3 Ligue 1 seasons
6. He is regarded as one of the best keepers in African football history and has served Nigeria at the National level for 13 years.
7. He is the most capped player ever for the national team.
8. He has been Nigeria’s first-choice goalkeeper, helping the Super Eagles to third-place finishes in the 2004, 2006, 2010 Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, and captaining the team to victory of in the 2013 edition.
9. On 18 August 2010 he scored his first goal of the 2010–11 season with a penalty against Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League qualifiers.
10. Enyeama, who was playing his 56th international for the Super Eagles, made six fine saves against the two-time world champions, four of them from Lionel Messi and was praised by Argentine coach Diego Maradona as the reason Messi was not able to score a goal.
11. In 2004 Enyeama was involved in a car accident in Uyo, southeast Nigeria, in which two motorcycle passengers were killed but escaped unhurt.
12. He surrently plays for French club Lille OSC