News of the death of polical activist, leader and mentor, Mama Awolowo has been flowing around Nigerian media and we decided to give you all you need to know about the late icon:
1. Hannah Idowu Dideolu Awolowo (née Adelana) was born November 25, 1915 to a modest family in the small Ikenne community of Ogun State in Nigeria.
2. She was the widow of politician Obafemi Awolowo, who famously referred to her as his “jewel of inestimable value” and the grandmother of the wife of Nigeria’s current Vice President, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo.
3. A successful businesswoman and astute politician, she was the First Lady of the old Western Region. She played an active role in the politics of Western Nigeria.
4. She stood in for her husband in the alliance formed between the NCNC and the AG, called the United Progressive Grand Alliance (UPGA), while he was tried and in jailed.
5. The plans were that she would contest the elections, and if she won, would step down for her husband in a by-election.
6. To fulfil his dream of becoming president in the Second Republic, she toured the length and breadth of the country with her husband campaigning. She also coordinated the women’s wing of the party and was always present at all party caucuses.
7, A successful businesswoman, she became the first Nigerian distributor for the Nigerian Tobacco Company (NTC) in 1957. She was the first to import lace materials and other textiles into Nigeria.
8. On September 19, 2015, she died at the age of 99.